A+E Networks and Cisco Collaborate on Rating Technology for N-Screen TV
AMSTERDAM(15 Sep 2014)
A+E Network and Cisco announced today that they have successfully integrated and tested the Nielsen ID3 tagging as an essential component of being able to track viewing patterns for mobile screen services. The added capability of Nielsen ID3 tagging will help other media companies, broadcasters and service providers better track TV viewing patterns and ratings across multiple devices to help with program advertising potential.
- Cisco’s D9036 premium broadcast encoder has been enhanced to deliver Nielsen ID3 tagging capability at scale. Cisco previously released this capability on its Videoscape AnyRes Live standard and high-definition software encoders.
- A+E Networks is launching the Nielsen ID3 tagging technology to support viewer measurement capabilities on mobile screen platforms such as PCs, tablets and smartphones.
- N-Screen is a unified entertainment experience across several Internet-connected devices that lets consumers switch from watching the same program on their TV, tablet or smartphone, with software seamlessly adapting the program to the various formats.
- Don Jarvis, senior vice president of Global Engineering and Technology A&E Networks
“Together with Cisco, we have been working to bring this technology to market. In-home viewing on mobile devices is a growing option for subscribers who wish to access our content. In order for our distributers, advertisers and viewers to be served properly, we need to understand this consumption model. The generation and transmission of ID3 data will allow for measurement in an industry-accepted manner. Being able to add this capability to our existing Cisco distribution infrastructure in a non-disruptive manner, and with minimal impact was very important to us.”
- Charles Stucki, vice president and general manager, Cloud and Headend Engineering, Cisco Service Provider Video Software and Solutions
“We believe that the N-Screen market has tremendous potential as it becomes an influential part of viewers overall TV experience. As usage of multiple screens and devices continue to grow, it is essential to be able to track the programming data and information transferring within the TV ecosystem. Being able to support Nielsen ID3 tags is an important step in that direction, and we are proud of our work with A+E to reach this milestone.”
About A+E Networks
A+E Networks, LLC. is an award-winning, global media content company offering consumers a diverse communications environment ranging from television networks to websites, from DVDs to highly popular watch Apps, games, educational software and a robust array of consumer products. A+E Networks is comprised of A&E, Lifetime, History, LMN, FYI, H2, A+E Studios, History en Espa?ol, Crime & Investigation Network, Military HISTORY, A&E IndieFilms, A+E Networks International, A+E Networks Digital and A+E Networks Consumer Products. A+E Networks channels and branded programming reach more than 350 million households in over 160 countries. A+E Networks, LLC. is a joint venture of Disney-ABC Television Group and Hearst Corporation.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.