“Yahoo” Launches on The Roku Channel
Yahoo’s Premium Live and Linear Programming Includes News, Finance and More to Debut November 1
NEW YORK, NY(01 Nov 2018)
Oath and Roku, Inc. (Nasdaq: ROKU) today announced the launch of “Yahoo” on The Roku Channel, providing live and linear news content from Yahoo News, Yahoo Finance, HuffPost, MAKERS and Yahoo Sports. This diverse array of programming will be part of The Roku Channel’s live news offering, which provides live and linear news to Roku users, available in time for midterm elections coverage on November 6, 2018.
Offering a unique combination of premium long-form content, live daily programming, recurring series and special events, “Yahoo” on The Roku Channel will feature some of the most trusted brands in news, business, sports and entertainment. The new distribution opportunity with Roku comes as Oath continues its investment in premium video across its brand ecosystem and expanded live programming in news, finance, sports and entertainment.
“‘Yahoo’ on The Roku Channel offers audiences another way to seamlessly access our exceptional content where and how they want it,” said Joanna Lambert, GM of Finance and Tech, Oath. “As we continue to expand our live programming, Roku users will be able to tap into a wide range of insightful and entertaining video content, engaging our audiences across our best in class content including news, finance, sports and women’s leadership.”
“News is one of the most popular categories in The Roku Channel,” said Rob Holmes, Vice President of Programming and Engagement at Roku. “Oath’s news and entertainment properties are proven to be a trusted and high-quality source for consumers. We’re always looking for ways to give our customers access to more voices and adding ‘Yahoo’ to The Roku Channel accomplishes that.”
“Yahoo” on The Roku Channel, is an ad-supported streaming channel on the Roku platform, web and mobile web, featuring Oath brands and programming highlights at launch include:
- Yahoo News -- Known globally as a trusted and balanced source of news, Yahoo News will bring compelling video series and documentaries to The Roku Channel that offer differing perspectives, promote understanding across ideological spectrums, and challenge preconceived ideas. Yahoo News’ team of dynamic journalists will also provide comprehensive live coverage around special events, including midterm elections. Kicking-off at 8:00 p.m. E.T. on Nov. 6, the Yahoo News election night live stream special will feature original reporting, analysis and up to the minute results anchored by correspondent Stephanie Sy and national political columnist Matt Bai. They’ll be joined throughout the night by Yahoo News and HuffPost journalists, including Yahoo News Editor in Chief Daniel Klaidman and HuffPost Editor in Chief Lydia Polgreen.
- Yahoo Finance -- From the moment the market opens, stay up-to-the-minute with the latest coverage from Yahoo Finance’s four daily live business day programs, Market Movers, Morning Meeting, Midday Movers, and The Final Round. Across these series, Roku users can expect coverage on the most important business news of the day, what’s driving the markets, and top trends. Starting on November 5, Yahoo Finance will expand the shows to reach five hours of daily programming, and will launch a full eight-hour slate in January of 2019. Yahoo Finance will also provide exclusive access to live events on Roku, such as its own All Markets Summit: America’s Financial Future, on Nov 13. This marquee event will take place in Washington D.C. just days after the 2018 midterms, and bring together some of the best minds in politics and finance for a series of panel discussions on policy implications of the election.
- HuffPost -- HuffPost lends its unique editorial lens to tell the stories of real people, whether it’s video interviews from their 25-city “Listen to America” Tour; the world premiere of their premium docu-series “Storm the Gates,” following three female candidates from the height of campaign season through election day; the animated series, “This New World”; or HuffPost Reports, which goes beyond the headlines for a deeper look at the people affected by them.
- Yahoo Sports -- Yahoo Sports offers the most immersive experience for sports fans with unique and fun original programming. Roku users can access breaking news with the insights and analysis of Yahoo Sports journalists on “The Spin” and explore the must-see moments in sports on “The Rush.” Yahoo Sports will also be rolling out a new digital sports and culture pregame show with former NFL star and Super Bowl Champion Martellus Bennett called “Mostly Football.” Yahoo Sports will also be celebrating its longstanding legacy in Fantasy shows. With “Fantasy Football Live” in its 13th season, audiences can experience a new show with fantasy expert Matt Harmon, “Half-time with Harmon.”
- RYOT -- RYOT is the Emmy Award®-winning, Academy Award®-nominated premium entertainment studio that produces both feature-length and short content in traditional and emerging immersive formats. RYOT has produced a range of cutting-edge film, television, and immersive projects with festival premieres at Sundance, Tribeca, SXSW, and Hot Docs among others. Roku users can catch some of RYOT’s top documentaries, including Fear Us Women.
- MAKERS -- The feminist media brand and female storytelling platform tells the stories of today's trailblazing women to inspire the changeMAKERS of tomorrow. As the largest video collection of women's profiles ever assembled, MAKERS uses visual storytelling, podcasts, live events, documentaries, and award-winning digital content to empower women to change the world one story at a time. Within The Roku Channel, audiences can tune in for MAKERS Emmy-nominated, feature-length documentaries and inspiring profiles that cover women leaders across business, politics, hollywood, space and more.
In addition to The Roku Channel, users can find content from Yahoo News, Yahoo Finance, Yahoo Sports, Makers, HuffPost and RYOT on the brands’ respective platforms and social channels.
Oath, a subsidiary of Verizon, is a values-led company committed to building brands people love. Oath reaches one billion people around the world with a dynamic house of media and technology brands. A global leader in digital and mobile, Oath is shaping the future of media and technology. For more on Oath, visit www.oath.com.
About Roku, Inc.
Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. We connect users to the streaming content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers with unique capabilities to engage consumers. Roku streaming players and Roku TVÔ models are available around the world through direct retail sales and licensing arrangements with TV OEMs and service operators. The company is founded by Anthony Wood, inventor of the DVR. Roku is headquartered in Los Gatos, Calif. U.S.A.