Ericsson takes video to the cloud to enable the ultimate time-shifted TV experience
Ericsson launches cloud DVR (digital video recorder) solution at NAB 2015 following its acquisition and integration of Fabrix Systems
Stockholm, Sweden(08 Apr 2015)
Ericsson’s (NASDAQ: ERIC) Media Vision 2020 research predicts that by the year 2020, time spent watching on-demand and time-shifted content will have reached 50:50 parity with linear and live TV. As the trend for time-shifted viewing combines with ‘anywhere access’, TV service providers must ensure their service offerings keep pace by giving consumers control to record and watch live TV content anytime, on any device. In response to this change in viewing behavior, Ericsson has launched its cloud DVR solution, applicable to all QAM and IP-based TV platforms. This crucial consumer application is powered by the Ericsson Video Storage and Processing Platform, a high performance, software-based infrastructure.
Ericsson’s new platform offers a unique, proven infrastructure, which allows for seamless augmentation and replacement of legacy TV services with new cloud-based services. It integrates and virtualizes the storage and processing capabilities of as many Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) servers as needed, providing outstanding performance gains and allowing operators to avoid many of the complexities and costs associated with launching new services.
Ove Anebygd, Vice President and Head of Solution Area Media, Ericsson, says: “Today’s viewers are more prescriptive than ever. They want simplicity in discovery and immediacy of access to TV Anywhere services, and content delivered in the highest possible quality. They require the flexibility and speed to connect to huge libraries of content, and the ability to record and watch live and linear content whenever they choose. Providing these features can be expensive and many legacy infrastructures simply do not have the functionality to do it. Our customers need the most advanced cloud-centric solutions to drive functions from the home into the cloud, and to enable service differentiation and new efficiencies. Our new cloud DVR solution places us at the forefront of technology capability and performance, with proven deployments at the most demanding customer sites, totaling over 150 petabytes of storage capacity”.
In addition to powering the most proven-at-scale cloud DVR deployments, the Ericsson Video Storage and Processing Platform also enables multiple video storage and video processing applications that include:
- Master video library – Scale-out storage providing the ability to ingest, process and ubiquitously stream master or “gold copies’ of licensed content
- Long tail server – Allows operators to store and deliver less popular, or long tail, content directly from a large, central storage vault, eliminating the need to replicate entire libraries at the edge of the network
- Dynamic origin server – High performance scale-out storage has integrated recording, storage, and delivery functions
- CDN (content delivery network) assist – Allows operators to expand their library and adaptively stream content over-the-top, as well as to legacy systems
- Enhanced VOD – Improves performance, flexibility, and scale in VOD solutions