AwesomenessTV Builds on Gen Z Success With New Content, Distribution Partners, and Innovative Advertising Technologies
Apple TV, Kik Provide New Touchpoints for Gen Z; Brightline, ZEFR Enable AwesomenessTV to Super Serve Brands
NEW YORK(12 May 2016)
At its first NewFront, AwesomenessTV announced new programming, talent, distribution and advertising technologies. It also showcased each of its three brands, the Gen Z flagship AwesomenessTV, the fast-growing original kids programming channel DreamWorksTV and its newest lifestyle and programming brand, Awestruck, targeting millennial moms. The global media company has embraced Gen Z, leveraging its expertise with the highly influential generation that is driving consumer spending decisions for the household, to become a leader in building brand engagement for that demographic and beyond.
“At AwesomenessTV our focus is on telling great stories across all the platforms that engage our audiences,” said Brian Robbins, CEO and co-founder of AwesomenessTV. “We are creating premium content experiences that are true to the audience, and if brands can join us in the process, it’s a win for everyone.”
A global brand targeting the Gen Z audience, AwesomenessTV has expanded to over 31 platforms. The newest additions are the just-launched Apple TV app and the AwesomenessTV bot, which debuted today on popular chat app Kik. AwesomenessTV is also tripling its premium content output on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Apple TV: Featuring the best AwesomenessTV shows, the Apple TV app delivers content that Gen Z loves to the big screen, placing a strong bet on wide adoption of smart TV.
- Kik: The first of its kind AwesomenessTV bot combines native video and chat in an integrated experience enabling fans to chat with AwesomenessTV. In the near future, character bots will launch for AwesomenessTV scripted series and films to deliver companion narratives, behind-the-scenes features and alternative endings driven by audience participation. This marks the first time contextual ad formats can be served in-line within the chat experience itself. The AwesomenessTV bot is powered by Sequel, a content platform for messaging.
AwesomenessTV is also collaborating with technology leaders to create cutting-edge ways to deliver branded content to Gen Z.
- ZEFR: AwesomesnessTV is combining forces with ZEFR, the leading video-data and technology company, to introduce “Signal,” a best-in-class content and multi-platform distribution program that will enable custom content created for Gen Z to be distributed via advertising across multiple platforms. It will analyze AwesomenessTV branded content, align it with the right videos and distribute it with unprecedented relevancy.
- Brightline: Using Brightline's proprietary technology AwesomenessTV will be able to create and serve unique dynamic, interactive branded experiences across the super-premium Connected TV/OTT universe.
“We are matching our storytelling prowess with innovative technology partnerships that will enable our brand partners to hyper target the hard to reach Gen Z audience wherever they are found,” said Brett Bouttier, President AwesomenessTV. “That’s why we’re partnering with industry leaders like ZEFR, Kik and Brightline.”
AwesomenessTV also announced new seasons for two of its most popular series, Royal Crush and Guidance, and a new series for go90, t@gged, which has already been greenlit for a second season. It is also collaborating on a new programming initiative with Major League Baseball to reframe the baseball experience for Gen Z.
- Royal Crush, the #1 series on AwesomenessTV’s YouTube channel, with over 43 million views, will return for two more seasons. Produced in collaboration with Royal Caribbean International, Royal Crush achieved positive metrics that were stronger than comparable TV spots according to a custom study AwesomenessTV conducted with Nielsen. Royal Crush viewers were twice as likely to show an increase in purchase intent and nearly twice as likely to recall the Royal Caribbean brand unprompted compared to those who viewed a standard television ad. Starring Meg DeAngelis (Dance Camp), the series is currently shooting season three in the Caribbean onboard the Oasis of the Seas and will be traveling to Alaska for season four later this year.
- Guidance, one of go90’s top performing series returns for a second season with new cast members. Featuring a new guidance counselor charged with investigating a grading favoritism scandal, season two explores events that culminate in a bloody and violent situation at the Homecoming Dance.
- t@gged is a scripted contemporary psychological thriller that follows three teenage girls who try to figure out who “tagged” their social media profiles to a horrific murder online, before the killer finds them. Debuting on go90 later this summer, the 11-part serial brings together a strong ensemble cast, including Lia Marie Johnson (Expelled), Lulu Antariksa (What Still Remains), Katelyn Nacon (The Walking Dead), Jc Caylen (Boo! A Madea Halloween), Tristin Mays (The Vampire Diaries), Timothy Granaderos (We Are Your Friends), Brendan Meyer (Fear The Walking Dead, Mr. Young), Nick Fink (Sweet/Viscious), Lukas Gage (Scout’s Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse), Kurt Caceres (All My Children) and Claudia Sulewski (Teen Vogue YouTube Host). It was created and directed by filmmaker Hannah MacPherson, executive produced by Brian Robbins, Shauna Phelan, and MacPherson, and produced by Jina Jones.
- AwesomenessTV and Major League Baseball have joined forces to create a multi-episode original scripted series that will give unique access to the game’s exciting elements and top athletes through the voice of Gen Z. The partnership will allow MLB to strengthen its emotional connection with young fans by combining the power of baseball with the authenticity of AwesomenessTV’s storytelling and native digital and social distribution.
Two years after announcing its launch in 2014, DreamWorksTV has produced over 100 original series and has over 1.5 million subscribers, more than Nickelodeon, Disney or Cartoon Network. In less than two years, DreamWorksTV’s most popular series, Life Hacks for Kids, has over 150 million views.
Today DreamWorksTV announced its first live event production, Kids’ Game Awards, led by producer Geoff Keighley (The Game Awards). Taking place this October in front of a kid-filled audience, Kids’ Game Awards is a totally interactive, all-digital show that puts kids in control as they vote on their favorite video games. The show will feature special appearances by celebrities, gamers, digital influencers and musical guests. Kids’ Game Awards is supported by an advisory board of industry leaders including Activision, Nintendo and Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment.
Awestruck continues to grow its high-profile talent roster to serve its audience of underserved millennial moms with a community and destination featuring quick bites of entertainment, information and conversation. GloZell Green, Molly Sims, Leah Ashley, Nikki Baker and Tammin Sursok join a strong roster of talent already in the Awestruck Network of influencer moms including Zoe Saldana, Kandee Johnson, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Jennifer “JWOWW” Farley and LaToya Forever.
- GloZell Green: The “Queen of YouTube,” GloZell is the host of the new Awestruck viral video series See Section and the star of Glo All In, her docu-series documenting her struggle with fertility and journey to motherhood.
- Molly Sims: This down-to-earth former model, recognized for her work as an actress, author, lifestyle expert and active humanitarian has joined Awestruck to continue to grow her YouTube channel. She will also be featured in original Awestruck programming.
- Leah Ashley: Just wrapped as a co-host on the ABC daytime talk show FABLife, alongside Tyra Banks, Chrissy Teigen, Joe Zee and Lauren Makk, Leah will be appearing in Awestruck DIY programming in addition to her YouTube channel Living with Leah, which focuses on food, lifestyle and motherhood.
- Nikki Baker: Known for Pranksters in Love, her popular channel with husband John, Nikki is partnering with Awestruck to create lifestyle and relatable comedy programming for moms. Her content will be on her channel, Your Favorite Nikki, in addition to starring in both scripted and non-scripted series for Awestruck.
- Tammin Sursok: The Emmy-nominated, Logie Award-winning actress, producer, director, writer, entrepreneur and platinum-selling recording star (Sony/BMG) will launch her YouTube channel as well as be featured in Awestruck programming. She is currently shooting Pretty Little Liars.
Joining Robbins and Bouttier on the AwesomenessTV NewFront stage at Spring Studios were t@gged co-stars Jc Caylen and Lia Marie Johnson, BETCH stars Maddy Whitby and Monica Sherer, Awesomeness Films star Kian Lawley, host of DreamWorksTV’s Life Hacks for KidsSunny Keller, Awestruck’s Kandee Johnson and video superstar, best-selling author and Amazing Race competitor Tyler Oakley. Chief Partnership Officer Paul Kelly, who heads the sales team across all the media properties and Big Frame along with Chief Revenue Officer Max Polisar, also presented.
AwesomenessTV is a multi-platform media company owned by DreamWorks Animation (Nasdaq: DWA) and Hearst, the latter of which has a 25% interest. Included under the AwesomenessTV banner are AwesomenessTV, a leading destination for original programming serving the global Gen Z audience; the ATV Network, a global creator community; Big Frame, an influencer talent management company; DreamWorksTV; Awestruck; Awesomeness Films; Wildness; as well as consumer products, music and branded entertainment divisions. AwesomenessTV was founded by Brian Robbins (Smallville, Varsity Blues, All That) and Joe Davola (In Living Color, Smallville, MTV Networks). Check out www.awesomenesstv.com.