- Develop software that is modular, scalable, well-tested, stable and optimized.
- Cultivate subject matter expertise in the areas of online video and become an expert in the latest video technologies.
- Mentor more junior engineers and help on-board new engineers on several teams.
- Work with technical and non-technical staff to translate business requirements into technical requirements for execution.
- Propose and present solutions to multiple types of audiences, both as informational sessions and to obtain buy-in.
- Participate and give feedback in design and code reviews with other developers.
- Act as part of the third level support team, working with first and second level support to resolve problems and perform root cause analysis for both internal teams and external vendors and partners.
- Be flexible and willing to learn both independently and with other team members
- Education: Bachelors or Masters in CS, related degree or equivalent experience
- Proven ability to adapt quickly to change and take calculated risks
- Expertise in algorithms, data structures, and design patterns and how to apply them in real world applications
- Strong attention to detail and correctness in code and communication
- Excellent written and verbal English skills
- Ability to write just enough documentation
- Willingness to debate technical choices productively and without ego
- Experience with unit testing methodologies, frameworks and software/tools.
- Understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, and a drive to automate everything
- Expertise with Git, rebasing, branching strategies and pull requests
- Understanding of video delivery protocols like HLS, RTMP, MPEG-DASH preferred
- Understanding of Web servers like Apache and nginx
- Experience with cloud based infrastructure, Amazon Web Services preferred
- Experience in *NIX operating systems
- Working knowledge of network protocols like TCP/IP and HTTP and the understanding of what makes a RESTful API great
- Prior experience with adaptive video streaming technologies, digital advertising platforms, and/or web analytics integration is preferred.
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban) a plus
About the Company:
Viacom is the company behind many of the most popular cable channels around the world, including MTV, Nickeledeon, Comedy Central, BET and many more. We are an international broadcaster, with content viewable around the world.